I always loved to make my own pesto. Somehow the store-bought one isn’t quite the same. Since I’ve been using more essential oils, I’m now adding them to lots of my favorite dishes for an extra burst of flavor. This basil pesto chicken recipe is quick, easy and healthy. It is gluten free but not dairy free, but the parmesan cheese could be switched with a vegan substitute.
Here’s what you’ll need:-
- 8-12 oz pasta of choice (I like brown rice pasta the best)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (they’re expensive but soooooo much tastier and more authentic than using walnuts or almonds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 drop basil essential oil
- 1 drop black pepper essential oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced or cubed
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
Cook pasta according to directions on package.
Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Pack the spinach in the bottom of your blender, then add pine nuts, sauteed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and essential oils on top of the spinach. Blend together using the pulse setting on the blender. Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and blend again.
Stir together with the cooked chicken, and serve with a green salad. If you’re going to add sun-dried tomatoes, add them right at the end. Yum yum!