The holidays have really crept on us this year, does anyone else feel like 2017 has just flown on by? But don’t worry, if you’re behind on your gift preparation this post can help – I’m giving you a few great DIY gift ideas that are simple but would be so lovely to receive. These gifts are also great if you’re on a tight budget as they’re made from relatively low-cost ingredients, and also good if you have a lot of people to prepare for, such as teacher gifts.
Bath bombs are a fun way to add excitement to your senses while enjoyingthe benefits of essential oils. They are also entertaining to use, and are loved by both kids and adults alike; because really, who doesn’t love a bath that fizzles?!
What you need:
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup oil (almond oil, olive oil, dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil, etc.)
- 8-10 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)
- silicone mold or saran wrap
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a spoon or your hands until a soft dough forms. If desired, add food coloring, dried herbs, or flower petals.
- Put the mixture into a silicone mold. Let it sit for at least 24 hours before removing from mold.
- If you don’t have a silicone mold, you could use cupcake liners or saran wrap to help mold your bath bombs.
- The bath bombs are ready to use once they are completely dry.
- To use, just drop them in the tub/shower until they dissolve.
BROWN SUGAR SCRUB
Make this easy DIY Ginger Lime Brown Sugar Scrub to help exfoliate and soften yourskin. Use 1-2 9mes a week on hands, feet, legs, or arms. You can also substitute your favorite essential oils.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 10 drops Lime essential oil
- 5 drops Ginger essential oil
- Note: Turbinado sugar is a large grained sugar that helps with deep exfoliation. If you don’t have turbinado sugar, you can use all brown sugar.
- Combine brown sugar, turbinado sugar, Fractionated Coconut Oil, and essential oil in bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Store in airtight container.
- To use, apply a small amount to hands and scrub for 30 seconds or until sugar dissolves.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Potpourri is an easy way to bring the essence of fall into your home. All you need to do is gather some of your favorite spices and herbs, place them in a bowl, and then add a few drops of essential oil for an amazing aroma. Once the aroma starts to fade, simply add a few more drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Your favorite whole spices and herbs—
- Orange Peels, Star Anise, Bay Leaves, Cinnamon Sticks, Vanilla Beans, cut into small pieces,
- Cardamom Seeds, Dried Apple Slices, Candied Ginger, Whole Cloves, All Spice, Whole
- 3-5 drops of your desired essential oil—
- Cinnamon Bark essential oil, Cassia essential oil, On Guard Protective Blend, Vetiver
- essential oil, Wild Orange essential oil, Clove essential oil, Ginger essential oil, Cardamom
- essential oil.
- Place desired herbs and spices into a container or bowl. Mix and assemble as desired.
- Add 3-5 drops of essential oil on top of potpourri.
- Once the aroma starts to fade after a couple weeks, add more essential oil. You can even place it in a pot of simmering water for a stove top potpourri that will make your entire house smell like the holidays.
- Gift Giving Idea: Potpourri makes a great present to neighbors, friends, and co-workers during the holidays. Just place in a decorative box with a bottle of essential oil.
WHIPPED BODY BUTTER
Who doesn’t love soft, moisturized, and healthy skin? The butters and oils used in this recipe are the perfect combination that will leave your skin moisturized for days after applying. Customize your whipped body butter with any essential oil of your choice. This also makes a great gift.
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Butter
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 15 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil*
- 15 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil*
- Double Boiler
- Hand/Stand Mixer
- Measure all butters and oils in glass jar.
- Fill a large skillet/saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the glass jar to the center of the saucepan to melt and combine ingredients.
- Stir every few minutes until the ingredients are melted and combined. (10-15 minutes)
- Tip: Use a popsicle stick to stir for easy cleanup.
- Once everything is melted, remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Add desired essential oils.
- Let it rest in a cool place (such as the refrigerator) until it has set.
- Once chilled, take out of refrigerator. With a stand or hand mixer, start on low and slowly turn the speed higher until the lotion becomes light and fluffy (around 3-5 minutes).
- You’re done! Store mixture in a glass jar and keep in a cool place.
Note: The body butter should be stored in a cool place. If you need to re-fluff the body butter you can simply whip it back up to the consistency you like with a hand mixture.
*Citrus oils are photosensitive. Choose different oils to use during summer months when sun exposure is high.
So there you go? Quick, easy gift ideas to see you through the holidays.
Speaking of which, I’ll be taking a couple of weeks off for Christmas and New Year, but will be back with you in January. I send you my very warmest wishes for a safe , healthy and happy holiday season. See you in 2018!!