New Year, New You! While not necessarily the best phrase, the new year typically brings a time when many people set goals and work to better themselves. Oftentimes, those goals are to improve health and get in better shape – good things! Depending on what your body is used to, beginning a new exercise regimen can take a toll, and many become discouraged. If you happen to be someone looking to get in better shape in the New Year, take a look at these health tips for the new year to help support your body in achieving your goals.
- Drink plenty of water! If you don’t consume the recommended minimum of 64oz of water daily (tea/water-based drinks count too!) start slow. Set daily goals and gradually work your way up to 64oz/day. If you struggle with this, you can also add in fruits and vegetables with high water content (celery, greens, cucumber, watermelon, peppers for example). If 64oz is easy for you, try working your way up to drinking half your weight in ounces/day (if you weigh 150lbs, try drinking 75oz of water/day).
- Eat well. Add in more veggies and fruits however you can. You can’t ask your body to do new & challenging activities if you’re not fueling it well.
- Don’t go from minimal physical activity to an extreme. Go for walks or hikes and make it fun! Sign up for a 5k in the future and slowly train, working your way up to it. If you join a gym and are unfamiliar with how to use machines or lift weights with proper technique, work with someone to ensure your safety and success. Download an exercise app to introduce yourself to forms of exercise that are newer to you to try at home – if not free, they are cheaper than signing up for a class that you may or may not enjoy. The more you enjoy it, the more likely you are to continue!
- Get a good warm up before beginning physical activity – stretch and get warm to help loosen up, prepare your body for what it’s about to do, and prevent injury.
- It’s normal to experience soreness a day or two after exercise. Stretch, take a warm Epsom salt bath, grab some Deep Blue Rub, AromaTouch, or other essential oils to support your muscles, joints, and connective tissue (Siberian Fir, Frankincense, Wintergreen, Copaiba, Lemongrass, Birch, Peppermint, Marjoram). Having a foundation of good vitamins (such as doTERRA’s Lifelong Vitality pack), along with the Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex, are great ways to support your body and muscles from the inside as well.
- Equal parts Peppermint, Frankincense, and AromaTouch is a favorite for a roller blend!
Remember, bettering yourself is always a good thing, just not always an easy thing. Take it slow, be kind to yourself, and have fun!